Monday, August 15, 2011

Am I screwed for life because of one bad mistake?

I use to live in Virginia. I did a stupid thing and was charged for petit larceny at my job. I went to court and did everything I was suppose to do and paid back the money and did my community service. Now I have since moved away fro Virginia and moved on with my life. I just lost my job because they do background checks every so often and a felony popped up on my record (by the way the charge was a felony at first but was dropped to a misdemeanor). I was truthful with this company up front and let them know I had a misdemeanor on my record. But when the felony popped up it seems as though I was lying. I called the court and they said a misdemeanor does show up on my record and that some companies take short cuts in using a "not so good" background check company. With this being said i am out of a job right now because of this. I planned to ask my gf to marry me on New Years and we just bought a new house. I feel haunted by this stupid mistake everyday and now it has haunted me again. Also there is no way to get expungement in Virginia if you pleaded guilty. So now this has to stay on my record for the rest of my life?? Any suggestions on what I can do? Thanks for reading this!!

No comments:

Post a Comment